Rotimi Akeredolu: 10 Things You Should Know About Ondo Governor-elect
This is a short list of unknown details about the rave of the moment in the Nigerian political space, Rotimi Akeredolu.
Oluwarotimi Odunayo Akeredolu of the All Progressives Congress, APC, was today declared winner of the Ondo governorship election.Akeredolu polled 244,842 votes in the Saturday’s election as against his closest rival, Eyitayo Jegede of the People’s Democratic Party who garnered 150, 380 votes.
Below are 10 things you should know about the Ondo State governor-elect:
1. Akeredolu was born on July 21, 1956 to Ola Akeredolu, a reverend and Grace Akeredolu, a lady evangelist,Aketi started his primary education at Government School, Owo.
2. He attended three secondary schools: Aquinas College, Akure, Loyola College, Ibadan and Comprehensive High School, Ayetoro, where he obtained his Higher School Certificate (HSC).
3. He later gained admission into the University of Ife (now Obafemi Awolowo University) to study Law, graduating in 1977. He was called to the Nigerian Bar 1978.
4. He served as attorney-general of Ondo between 1997 and 1999. He was also chairman of the Legal Aid Council between 2005 and 2006.
5. Rotimi Akeredolu became president of the Nigerian Bar Association in 2008.
6. He became the NBA president 20 years after being called to bar.
7. In November 2009 he faced allegations of corruption when the Bar Association’s Third Vice-President, Welfare Secretary and Assistant Financial Secretary circulated a petition entitled “Complaints against your fraudulent manifestations, violation of the NBA”. Subsequently, the allegations against him were reviewed and dropped by the National Executive council of the Nigerian Bar Association.
8. On 28 July 2012, On Akeredolu was selected as the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) candidate for Governor of Ondo State during the ACN congress in Akure.
9. On Saturday September 3rd, 2016, he won the sole ticket to represent the All Progressive Congress (APC) at their primary conducted in Ondo State to represent the party at the forth-coming 2016 elections.
10. On Sunday 27th November 2016, Akeredolu was declared governo-elect of Ondo State.